This Guy Went a Year without Taking a Single Shower

The best Stories All Around The Web!

This Guy Went a Year without Taking a Single Shower


This Guy Went a Year without Taking a Single Shower, Still Managed to Stay Squeaky Clean | 27-year-old environment activist Rob Greenfield went a whole year without taking a shower. A man-made shower, that is. Instead, he spent the year bathing in natural water resources – lakes, rivers, rain and waterfalls. And when natural water wasn’t accessible, he used a bucket filled with water from leaky faucets and fire hydrants.

Here’s the surprising bit – while the average American consumes about 100 gallons of water a day, Rob used less than 2 gallons a day that whole year. That’s eight Nalgene water bottles. Now, that’s quite a difference. It really makes you wonder about how much water we actually need to survive. Rob said that he got the idea to live with less water during a long bike ride across America to promote sustainability and eco-friendly living.

“I set a bunch of rules for myself to follow to lead by example. The rule for water was that I could only harvest it from natural sources or from wasted sources. And I kept track of exactly how much I used, with an aim of showing just how little we need to get by.” After the 100-day bike ride without showering was over, Rob decided to continue his streak. He went ‘showerless’ for the next 6 months and then decided to extended to a year. And it turned out to be a whole lot easier than he thought.

“You think I’m really stinky right? You think I smell like some sort of Swamp Monster,” Rob wrote in a Huffington Post article. “Actually, nope. When I say that I haven’t showered that doesn’t mean that I wasn’t bathing. I swam almost every day, and showered in waterfalls, and I used eco-friendly biodegradable soap when I needed to.”

“I realized that water doesn’t have to come from a shower head to get me clean. You can wash yourself in lakes. Rivers. Or just by sitting in the rain,” he wrote. “But when natural water wasn’t available, I found other places to clean myself without having an impact. Like a leaky fire hydrant in Brooklyn. Or this blasting fire hydrant in the Bronx.” Rob also learned that he could air dry instead of using a towel, which reduced his laundry.

About his love life, Rob was quite bashful while revealing that there was not exactly a shortage of women who were happy to be with him when he wasn’t showering. “The times that I miss the shower the most is when I’m with a woman and she wants to get in the shower with me and I can’t,” he admitted.

For those of us who would like to save water but can’t do without a daily shower, Rob does have a few other ideas on water conservation. He tells us to: flush the toilet less often, take shorter showers, turn off the water while soaping up or scrubbing down, wash clothes in less and in full loads, use water efficient showerheads and toilets, get your leaks fixed, harvest rain.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

0 comments:

Post a Comment